Follow Us on Twitter

July 14th Board Meeting Recap

As promised, here's the rundown -

Please note, these are not official minutes, nor meant to be construed as minutes. This is my interpretation of the events of the evening, including explanations of my votes, in brief, as promised during my campaign as a method to provide accountability and transparency in my role as a board member. These comments in no way reflect the opinion of the board or district.

Started my first executive session with the Oath. Repeated it again at the beginning of public session. Public session started about 45 minutes late due to run over of executive.

For those who have been wondering - Dinner was provided by Nutrition Services and it was very healthy (salads.) I didn't participate in dinner (July 14th was my husband's 40th birthday, so we ate a quick dinner together before executive session.)

Public Session:
Board Elections
Approved Minutes of previous meetings
Presented Honor Roll Awards for Outstanding Service to out-going FRC (Financial Review Committee) Committee leaders
Boardmanship awards presented to existing board members for acquiring credits through training

Superintendent's Update - Community Consensus Plan will be fully implemented by September with the opening of Porter Rd. Elementary School.

Administrative Personnel Recommendations - Board voted to approve recommendations for Principal at Glasgow High (Edward Mayfield, current VP at Glasgow), Director for the Statewide Delaware Autism Program (Vincent Winterling) , and Director of Curriculum and Professional Development for Secondary Schools (Vilicia Cade.)

My Vote - Yes, though I contemplated abstaining. Here's why: For two of the three positions, I had firsthand knowledge gained via the interview process by participating in parent forums prior to being elected to the board, or through information received in my board packet last week that gave me insight into the needs of the position and the capabilities of the candidate. It was the third candidate that gave me pause for hesitation as I had no prior knowledge or firsthand experience with the candidate. I received copies of the application packet to fully review during Executive Session at 6 pm. I was not that I had any doubts of the candidate's ability, but rather I did not feel I had adequate time to review the material. It is what it is. I sincerely wish all three candidates success in their new positions!

Consent Agenda - Board voted to accept the consent agenda. This was another tough vote for me due to the Personnel Recommendations. I ultimately voted to accept the recommendation to prevent the Riffing of district employees.

Student Expulsions -I abstained from the vote. I did not receive the expulsion packets until Executive Session. Though I participated in the discussions, I did not feel that I had adequate time to process the material. I felt it would have been highly inappropriate to cast a vote for or against.

Well, that's a rap.
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive