Follow Us on Twitter

Pencader Disclosure to Satisfy my own Conscience

A year ago, I studied Pencader's achievement data and concluded that although the school was financially insolvent, that it deserved an opportunity to right the ship just as the Christina and Red Clay school districts had been granted in years previous.  A finance problem can be fixed in relative and real time, whereas, failure to deliver student achievement requires extended time and resources to spur results.   With a sound financial plan and oversight from the authorizer, Pencader was poised to reclaim its previously positive reputation.  Of course, there would be road bumps, living on a shoestring budget, as an obvious one.  But, on that hot summer day last July when the State Board voted to allow Pencader to operate, few could have foreseen the impasse that grips the school today.

I struggle with where Pencader is and how it's leadership came to breach the public's trust - at times, right before my eyes.  Some of Pencader's turmoil has been captured by the New Journal - the language a teacher used toward a student, the teacher's relationship to the school leader, the school leader's questionable Ph.D., low enrollment in the critical month of May.

A year ago, putting my own reputation behind Pencader, I made the journey to Dover to ask for a second chance.  The State Board of Education saw fit to grant that request and I continued to personally support Pencader as an unpaid volunteer, completely outside my role as a publicly-elected official.

For the last 10 years, I have been a stay-at-home mom.  In September 2011, when my son started full-day kindergarten, I began the transition back to the paying workforce - a function of the economy - with very limited hours - only during the school day to accommodate my children's needs.  Last October, I was working on my substitute teacher applications when I was offered a position as a cashier in the Pencader cafeteria.

My very special daughter would later put it this way: "Mom, you went to college to be a lunch lady?"

I accepted the position because it met my needs - daytime hours that allowed me to be home for my children and husband. My interest culled from my experience - years in food service in my teens and during college.  And, it was self-satisfying to work for a school whose students, teachers, and families I admired deeply.  Finally, I felt comfortable that as a child nutrition services worker, at $9/hr for 3-4 hours a day, I was not propelling my personal life and my school board life into a conflict of interest.   And I made enough each month to pay the electric bill.

In May, my employment at Pencader was suddenly disrupted.  While I completed the school year as an employee in good standing, I did so after requesting a mutually agreed upon leave that was granted by the Pencader school board as it was comprised in May.  The details are part of a labor dispute and I have invoked my rights under employment law to maintain confidentiality. Pencader's board and administration are also bound to maintain confidentiality.

Don't ask, I won't provide comment about it. 

So, why did I file FOIA?

Last summer, my reputation helped to legitimize the fight to keep Pencader open.  The ensuing year, however, has been wrought with lessons for me to learn.  I am deeply saddened by just how far off-trajectory Pencader has travelled.  As this school attempts to rebuild yet again, I harbor serious concerns for the culture that has taken hold and the premise that outside scrutiny is not welcome.

I have asked the A.G. for a FOIA finding because I am concerned that absent absolute direction from the state authority on sunshine laws that Pencader's inexperienced board will fail to uphold transparency as required by state laws.  For that matter, as far as I can see, an A.G. finding is the best method in which this board can engage to legitimize its actions.  Absent a finding, the board will continue to be the subject of conjecture and innuendo which will only serve to undermine it's ability to conduct business.

While I thoroughly expect that this request will be met with anger from many who support Pencader, I am hopeful that the ultimate finding will help delineate a clear path forward for the school's future. 

And I only seek only to remind readers that you can support Pencader and its future successes without supporting those whose actions have brought damaging headlines.  I urge Pencader's supporters to embrace the sunlight and to seek accountability.  Start asking questions and don't stop until you have real tangible answers in writing.
Category: 11 comments

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

I think what you have done is excellent. Anyone that has a problem with it has something to hide. There should be nothing to hide! Thank you for taking this step. I am behind you 100% Sad to say I can't sign my name without fear of retaliation.

t-n-t@usa.com said...

There's never anything wrong with a little sunlight. Keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

All of Delaware Education is Hide and Seek. No
average person can follow the money trail, my feeling is DOE will close Pencader

Anonymous said...

The problem is it doesn't look like anyone at DOE is attempting to follow the Pencader money trail. It appears that they are doing nothing with regards to the school. Do you know otherwise? It would be nice to hear something is being done by DOE. When I questioned Dan Cruce, he said the Pencader board is taking care of it. That was a few days ago!

Anonymous said...

Personally, I know you were warned, and you treated that person with extreme arrogance. As we all know, you do think highly of yourself.

Perhaps an apology and reconciliation is in order?

Elizabeth Scheinberg said...

Anonymous 1 - I have heard nothing about DOE's take on Pencader.

Anonymous 2 - Personally, I have no idea what you are talking about. My support of Pencader did anger some on a professional level. But,I was never arrogant to anyone, although I would argue that I was passionate in support of this school's students.

As fas as thinking highly of myself - I think I earned that - and if you knew me, you'd know how.

Anonymous said...

"As far as thinking highly of myself-I think I earned that- and if you knew me, you'd know how." LOL

Again, lots of people have lived through very tough battles and heartaches, and also achieved great things in their lives. It isn't an excuse to be arrogant.

Really, you were quite lucky to get voted onto the SB. It isn't about how great you are....you just a lunch lady. LOL

Elizabeth Scheinberg said...

I didn't campaign for school board because I was arrogant. I was raised in a strong tradition of community service and our family saw a need that we believed we could help fulfill. We ran as a family and we've sacrificed as a family for an unpaid position of service because that's the right thing to do for children.

You can call me arrogrant as you like. It doesn't change the truth.

As far as being a lunch lady - it's an honor - and I find it pathetic that you would think less of any one who works in a school cafeteria. These are employees who put children, hunger, health and nutrition before their salaries.

Anonymous said...

She was warned? That Pencader was hosting a hostile workplace with roving packs of cultish acolytes devoted to a school leader whose husband treats students with the epitome of arrogance?

Really? Who warned her? What did the warning specifically direct her to do?By warning, do you really mean threatened?

Anonymous, defending Ms. Lewis is an act of fervent cowardice. Ms. Scheinberg's FOIA is an act of active protection for the stakeholders and taxpayers that fund what can only be described an embarrassing circus right now.

Your meritless claims are frankly pathetic.

Anonymous said...

No, no one could have foreseen or forewarned of the situation with Lewis husband. However, she was warned that Lewis was a liar, arrogant, and a cheater.

I'm not sure where you got the idea I was defending Lewis. Quite the contrary. I am just saying that I am disgusted that Elizabeth was so PRO Lewis and was "devoted" to her even if she doesn't want to admit it. She was under the "spell" and she was warned!

Hiding behind "I was passionate about the school's students" is a joke. Elizabeth fell for the spell hook, line, and sinker. It's best to just admit it.

The other issue is I am simply sick of hearing "how great thou art" from her. Sick.

Elizabeth Scheinberg said...

1. Anonymous, you say you want me to admit that I was deceived by Mrs. Lewis. I have already done that in previous blog post. What you really want from me if for to pontificate hate and venom for the woman - and I just won't bite. And you will attribute that to my "arrogance."

Here's the truth - again - I have in prevous blog posts called for the removal of the school leader by either the board or DOE solely based upon the public revelation of her deception and completely aside from my own personal situation. In those posts, I have openly shared that I feel deceived.

2. As for being pro-Lewis - one can be pro-Pencader and not be pro-Lewis. My devotion was to a school that was offering an academic alternative for my Christina students. Parents should have choices for their children. Attending a failing high school should not be presciption based solely upon the district a student lives in. That has been the avenue available to the children of Christina for way too long. I also believe that Christina is coming into its own and that we will see a marked improvement in our high schools over the next several years. But, that won't help my high schoolers today. Pencader offered alternatives.

3. Being warned - If I believed absolutely everthing someone told me and didn't find my own way in this world, I would believe that Obama is a Commmunist and Bush is Jesus Christ. And we both know that neither is true.

Look, I can't please everyone all the time. That's high school statistics. I also can't make every decision based upon others' opinions. I did my best. And I got burned on many levels. I'm sorry that I didn't live up to what you expected, but that doesn't mean I didn't try hard to do what was right by kids.

And pretty much, I think I'm done with this thread because no matter what I say, it isn't going to be what you want to hear and if by some magic, I did hit the right combination of words, you would not believe the sentiment behind it.

Elizabeth

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive