Follow Us on Twitter

You say Potato, I say the Wilmington City Council President Doesn't Want Suburban Kids in his City..."

After decades of forced busing, that mechanism by which both city schools and suburban schools were integrated by race and economics, and ten years after the turmoil caused by said busing has been dismantled, Wilmington's City Council President, Theo Gregory, the former head of Old-Moyer forcibly removed by the state, makes it quite clear that those students who are raised in the suburbs are not welcome in his city's charter schools. 

Speaking about the new Community Education Building - soon to be the home of four charter schools - Gregory has this to say: 
“I want to see this commitment that many or most of these kids are going to be urban kids because you’re using our conduit bonds to do this,” Gregory said.
The News Journal goes on to explain:
...Gregory and other city leaders want more assurances that the schools housed in the building will serve mostly city kids. If the tower becomes the ideal learning environment organizers have described, they fear it would be possible for suburban kids to be attracted to it.
 (Bold, Underline, and Red added by Blogger.)

That's one hell of a Welcome to Wilmington!

Yes, the City extended its conduit bond financing to the renovations of the CEB building, allowing the construction to occur at a reduced interest rate while the city assumes none of the debt nor ownership.  That was certainly a kindness.  

However, and it's a big "however," the education of all children served in the City of Wilmington is primarily supported by suburban tax payers. 

Theo forgets that that his city lacks the wealth to support its own traditional school district and that the majority of local funds that follow students from the traditional school districts into charters, regardless of the location of the charter, are generated out in the suburbs. 

Theo wants my tax dollars.  But, he doesn't want my kids.  I'm not all right with that, but I certainly won't tread where I am not welcome.  So, while urban students will continue to receive my tax dollars (and I am more than okay with that because I believe that education is the most deserving Government Entitlement Program ever created) Theo's City won't see another dime out of me, no parking revenue, no shopping revenue, no entertainment revenue.

I hope Theo's conduit bond financing keeps him and his residents warm at night, 'cause next time I get that urban itch - City of Philadelphia/Baltimore/Newark/New York/D.C., here I come! 

(Some politicians really have a knack for sticking both feet in their mouths.)




Category: 3 comments

3 comments:

rey said...

Hi
this is really very helpful article. I go through this site really very nice information.thank for sharing such a nice information.

Anonymous said...

That shoe looks like butterscotch... Now I want some. I have to go out shopping just for it in tonight's snow. I hope no one ever shows me a muffin.... :)

Elizabeth Scheinberg said...

Kavips - Here's a recipe you should try: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bon-appetit/how-to-make-sweet-potato_b_4638571.html?utm_hp_ref=taste&ir=Taste

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive