Follow Us on Twitter

My Personal Response to Unionization

This note is in response to a recent constituent request to both the Board and me, personally, and in keeping with the mission of this blog, I will share my answer here. My opinions are mine alone and do not represent those of the Christina School District or its Board of Education.

Christina's transportation employees are exploring the formation of a union - a right granted and protected under the NLRA, the National Labor Relations Act. As a Board Member, organizers from the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME-Council 81) approached me and requested that I listen to their rationale for this important decision and sign a pledge of neutrality.

If you've read the blog recently, you know ground rule #1 for me is "if it wasn't written down, then it didn't happen." In keeping with this philosophy, I'm writing it down : I support any employee in the Christina School District who wishes to exercise their rights under the law and, more specifically, the NLRA.

The choice of any employee to participate in the organization of a union is a very personal one that affects not only the employee. but their co-workers and families as well. I respect their freedom of choice and will not stand in the way of their exploration of options.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Scheinberg
Category: 2 comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In other words, you support the law of the land. But, does it matter -- what input does the school board have on the ability of an employee group to petition to organize?

Elizabeth Scheinberg said...

Employees of Christina's Transportation Department asked every member of the school board whether they had their support in exploring their right to form a union.

Few board members publicly responded to the request. I believe that when district employees reach out for assurance that they are valued, it is in the district's best interest to respond positively. And, I do value the contributions these loyal employees make to our students' lives. We have entrusted them with the safety of our children!

Ultimately, you're right, I have no bearing on their vote. They never suggested that I, or any other member of the board would. However, by posting my personal statement, I created a means by which I shall be held accountable.

I have often stated that this is the time to be "bold," that we, as a district, must begin to rethink our approach to education. District employees should be treated with the same respect afforded parents and tax payers.
Let's not forget that many employees are also parents and tax payers in our district.

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive