Follow Us on Twitter

Susan Klebold Speaks Out in Opera Mag

Do you remember where you were when you first heard about the Columbine Massacre?

I was walking through the offices of The Review, UD's student newspaper. What struck me at the moment was not unequivocal loss of life, but the relationship I had to Columbine High School. My grandfather had lived in walking distance of the Littleton, Colorado school. And had fate played out a little differently, had my parents chosen to live near my mother's family, Columbine would have been my public high school.

In those first news broadcasts, we collectively failed to see that what we were witnessing in Columbine was first mass public exposure of school violence and what would become a nationwide epidemic -- deadly actions by students and the anxiety and fear that accompany it.

Ten years later we have yet to mitigate the fear that has crept into our classrooms, and in some cases address it's causes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/10/susan-klebold-columbine-k_n_316447.html
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive