Follow Us on Twitter

On Zero Tolerance and National Controversy

1) I do not and cannot speak for the Board. This blog reflects my personal views on the issues that continue to prevent all CSD children from attaining a world-class education.

2) I was elected to this unpaid position by constituents who wanted Accountability, Transparency, a return to Best Practices, and Bold Leadership in a time when many feel that public education is failing our children. I pledged my support to all of the students of the Christina School District and I will fulfill that promise.

3) Our district has been thrust into the national spotlight by a disciplinary action taken in accordance to the district Code of Conduct, a document owned fully by the Board of Education.

I support my district administration in their diligence to adhere to the prescribed policy; however, I share the belief that Zero Tolerance policies do not consistently work. In fact, our district's utilization of Zero Tolerance policies was among the catalysts for my campaign in the first place. I am passionate in my efforts to resolve those policies that are simply flawed.

Zero Tolerance became the cry of the day following the Columbine Massacre. Though I was not a part of the board at that time (and am only three months into my term,) I am guided in my knowledge that many such policies were implemented across the nation to ensure the safety of ALL students. It is without doubt that the goal of the our district has always been to maintain the safety for our students and staff.

It is and always has been my promise that I will endeavour to change those policies that are not rooted in reason and to create a mechanism for common sense when needed.

Tonight, I re-affirm that promise to you.

The locations list below represent just a handful of the hundreds of emails and phone calls I have received today:

Atlanta, GA
Wilton, CT
Lilburn, GA
Santa Clara, CA
Bayonet Pt., Fl
Duvall, WA
Glen Ellyn, IL
Fort Worth, TX
Stockton, CA
Columbia, MO
Bayville, NJ
Jackson, MI
Port Richey, FL
Conway, AK
Spokane, WA
Newark, DE
Woodbridge, NJ
Los Angeles, CA
Eolia, MO
Spencer, IA
Van Hornsville, NY
Fairfield, CT
Fort Collins, CO
Presque Isle, WI
Withee, WI
Westfield, MA
Pittsburgh, PA
Winfield, KS
Springfield, MO
Cranston, RI
Aurora, CO
Lakewood, CO
Mooresboro, NC
Watertown, WI

1 comments:

Kilroy said...

Thank you agian for being true to who you are and your cause.

The Zero Tolerance might be overkil however, at least it can be tweaked carefully as we still need ridged rules.

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive