Follow Us on Twitter

Comment Rescue - CSD Board Meeting

Nancy Willing said...


I just read Mass Incite's depiction of the CSD Board meeting last night and it was a little horrifying. I guess I should go and see for myself.
The Superintendent leads the meetings?
She begged, wept and threatened her way through the MI MOU meeting?

I think I really need to assert that the following remarks are entirely my opinion, are not the opinion of the Board, and should not be considered "FACT."  I am not trying to impugn anyone's reputation, nor cause controversy.  I am, I believe, offering fair comment regarding public session meetings as requested by a member of our community.

1.  Does the Superintendent lead the meetings?
Well, I can understand how someone would surmise that.  I think a fair amount of time it's probably true.  She certainly leads during the Superintendents report -- a summary presentation of something important in the district.  Tuesday's report was on the Strategic Plan which led to the conversation surrounding Referendum.

But, there are other times when it has appeared that the superintendent is leading the discourse and direction of the public meeting.  I've been told that it's unusual for a superintendent to join in the conversation unless asked a specific question.  But, to be fair and honest, I have never attended a board meeting of another district, so I can't confirm that assertion.

I have also been told there's a fair amount of note passing between the Super and the Board President during the meetings.  Because of my position in the seating, it is difficult to see if such an activity is occurring.  But, I have also been told that it's surprising to see a board member (me) taking notes throughout public comment which I do, copiously. 

2.  The MOU Meeting: 
I'm not really sure where to start.  That was a contentious meeting.  And our superintendent did speak heatedly on the topic though in my opinion her comments were not solicited.  Members of the public have come forward to me to complain that she was yelling at the board and audience.  Others may describe her as passionate.  In the end, it's all in the eye of the beholder, the viewer, the tax payer, the parent, the community.  Sadly, that discussion was halted when another r member Called the Question, forcing the board to vote.  It passed 5 -2.  I personally believe that a lot more discussion needed to occur but it not about me, it's about the quorum.

I think the third question you and other may be asking is:  Have I read the MI blog?
Yes, I have read Mass Inciters blog.  And since it takes alot to offend me, even being called "little miss C&E" doesn't really bother me.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Although, I would have to argue I am not "little" nor a "miss."

However, the M.I. did touch on something that is cause for concern for me:  Open Meeting Laws.  On March 6th, the CSD Board held a Special Session at Sarah Pyle to discuss among other things the Referendum and Strategic Plan.  The Posted Notice was incomplete and did not contain the Agenda for the meeting.  The agenda was also absent from the district's website.  I attended the meeting only long enough to express concern that the meeting may not meet the legal requirements.  As such, I felt it was improper to hold the meeting.  I left.  The meeting continued in my absence for several hours.

The M.I. did in fact hear our president discuss the issue of the March 6th meeting.  It is the president's position that this meeting was a Workshop. I have not been able to locate any laws/code on Board Workshops so I don't know that special rules do or do not apply.  I did produce both my Agenda and the meeting notice identifying the March 6th meeting as a Special Session. 

At this point I can only say that determining the status of that meeting is now out of my hands.

Nancy, Here's the link you requested:  http://massinciter.blogspot.com/2010/03/bad-boards-bad-boards-whatcha-gonna-do.html  Approx. 9 paragraphs down.

I would certainly agree that you "should go and see for yourself,"  And perhaps, if there is any value in the M.I. blog it's that in the absence of public attendance, there truly is no Sunshine.
Category: 2 comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goodness! I respectfully request that you provide a link in the body of your post to the MI post that generated this comment - to give the proper context! Thanks. Nancy

Elizabeth Scheinberg said...

Nancy, link added to original post. Approx. 9 paragraphs down on MI page

http://massinciter.blogspot.com/2010/03/bad-boards-bad-boards-whatcha-gonna-do.html

Elizabeth

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive