Follow Us on Twitter

Please Don't Text Me!

Dear Christina,

It has been brought to my attention that some of my constituents are trying to text me.  Unfortunately, I do not have texting enabled on my cell phone.  Many of you in 2012 have smart phones.  Sadly, I don't.  The gentleman at Verizon has kindly explained to me that I am a dinosaur with my "stupid phone."  As a Delaware School Board member, I am unpaid and not eligible for benefits offered to other elected officials or state employees.  Like many of you, our family lives on a very tight budget and texting is simply not a luxury we can afford today.

However, my phone is always on and available to you.  Please don't hesitate to contact me, (302) 494-8076.  If you reach my voicemail, leave a message, and be assured I will return your call.

Thank You, Christina, for allowing me to serve you for the last three years!

Elizabeth
Category: 3 comments

3 comments:

Jack said...

Elizabeth:

You represent more residents than any state/county elected officials except for the very few we are elected state/or county wide.
It is a disgrace that you are not paid and not provided at least a computer and a top of the line ipod.
How can you communicate with all the residents in the CSD.

Elizabeth Scheinberg said...

Jack,

I really don't mind not being paid (although access to state health insurance would be appreciated!) My service to Christina is my choice. I knew the compensation package when I ran for office = $0.00.

No cell phone, no desktop, no laptop, no netbook, no notebook. However, this year, I had the priviledge of being a part of a school board that adopted Boarddocs, a paperless meeting system. The program does provide the board members with IPADs during their term (I have to give it back.) We started learning the program in January. However, I wasn't in it for the IPAD, although I do appreciate the mobile technology that I couldn't personally afford - adopting boarddocs actually saves our district a minimum of $30,000/year previously spent on copying documents for the board. It also moves the public documentation that supports staff recommendations to the board for vote onto the internet for greater accessibility for the public.

Elizabeth

Jack said...

Elizabeth:

No other elected officials have more impact on the education of our children than school board member.

In my area of interest, that being how and where fundds are used, Board members by law must approve the budget and financial reports, all others just provide the funds and make recommendations.

Having said that I feel strongly Board members should at least be paid a set amount for each meeting attended and be provided some clerical support and a means to communite with residents.

I know of no other elected/or appointed officials that receive no pay.

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive