Follow Us on Twitter

Polls Open in 48 Hours!

Political campaigns are funny things.

Yesterday, I went home to the neighborhood in which I grew up, to the street where I trick-or-treated, and to the ball park where my little sister was the first girl to ever play for the Newark American Little League. I was the first female ever permitted to be an announcer in the booth. Yesterday, there were four teens in that booth, two of which were girls, and at least four young ladies playing ball in the field.

All those years ago, we called my sis "T" when she got up for bat; if we used her "real name" the boys on the opposing teams would make fun of her. I'm not sure if they were more intimidated by her gender or because she was far superior player to most.

When the NALL snack bar recieved its first cash register, I taught the league moms how to use it (I owe my expertise to my high school job at Friendly's on Elkton Rd, now demolished and the site of new contruction.)

I'm proud of these feats, because I was just a teenager myself, filling in for my own mother who worked more hours than she was able to devote to her family so that she could support that family in all of its endeavours! Like so many children, I didn't understand it then, but with decades of real life experiences, I more than appreciate my mom's sacrifices.

Election Campaigns can be great things! Back home, I knocked on Lennie Markell's door, our Governor's mother, and left literature when she wasn't home. I fondly remember babysitting Lennie's grandchildren the night she received the Social Worker of the Year Award. (I suspect she's in Dover this weekend with her son and grandchildren. It is Mother's Day weekend, afterall.)

I met Fred, a wise man who is considering joining the district Financial Review Committee; he was inspiring to say the least. His family is grown, but he's compelled to give back in a capacity that suits him well.

In Cherry Hill I met a widower who serves our students at West Park as a mentor, still tied to education long after his children have grown, because his wife was a dedicated CSD food service employee for more years than anyone can remember.

I met Kirby, a former administrative employee, with a step-daughter at Charter. Daughter is terribly afraid of attending high school because her neighborhood school is Newark High. But Christiana and Glasgow are not much better choices, they all have drugs, gangs, guns, knives, and more.

At Downes Elementary, I introduced myself to the school's principal, Mrs. Schwartz, attending her school's yard sale and car wash. She first asked me, "Are you Steve Scheinberg's daughter?" Yes, I am. His daughter-in-law, actually. Steve, my husband Rob and I, and Mrs. Schwartz's husband and his father before hime all served B'nai B'rith, a service organization in Wilmington, its history goes back more than 100 years!

At the ballpark, I met a CSD resident who sends her children to private school, who after her own experiences as a district student, has given up on the district's ability to educate her children. She struggles to afford the school, and did try one year in a CSD school, where she was met with resistance from teachers. In her eyes, they provided little guidance as to how to support her child's in-school education at home. She felt her teacher didn't want her to be part of the process. So Mom sent her child back to private, where the young man is thriving and she is an equal part of the educational team.

I've met more parents, tax-payers, law-makers, teachers, and school administrators during this short journey than I can count. I've lived and breathed legislative code, unit counts, gifted and talented programming, special populations, cars washes, fundraising walks, and the blog-o-sphere of the internet. And I have enjoyed every moment of it.

But, elections can bring about some unsavory moments as well. Like yesterday, when I took the curve on Delaware Avenue, just up the road from Newark High. As I paused at the light, I noticed a 17-21 year old girl, removing a Young and Scheinberg campaign sign, in the ground less than a day. I know she's not from the NCCo Department of Elections or the police. She left the sign stand in the grass. I am certain she is, in fact, someone's constituent.

While I didn't have the time and position in traffic to stop her before she merged back onto the road, I did catch her license plate number. Then I parked and removed the sign stand.

I am openly inviting that young lady to return the sign with an apology before I am forced to file a police report. Why? It's just a sign, right? No, theft is a pattern of behavior that can escalate into bolder (although broad daylight is pretty bold) more serious crimes. Call it fate, call it what you will, but I was meant to be on that road at that moment. It would be wrong to not expect the highest moral behavior from our young people. Perhaps, this was just a lapse in judgement and nothing more. But, I want to give this girl a chance to correct her error.

And if this action was a part of a competitor's campaign, they need to seriously rethink what message they are sending to our children and consider the integrity (and lack thereof) they will bring to our school board.

Tuesday is voting day. Will you be joining Young and Scheinberg at the polls? Will you be voting for thoughtful change, a return to common sense practices, the empowerment of educators and the transparency that this district needs if it is begin a journey to excellence? I hope you will!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Scheinberg
Category: 1 comments

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't know how reading the above article touched me. I don't know what made me Google Lennie Markell (an old dear friend from Newark, DE) this evening, but I did. And floods of memories came dancing through my brain. Mrs. Schwartz? Yet another old and dear friend from Newark. Then to find that the Markell's son Jack is Governor? Amazing. When I left Delaware 20 years ago last month he was still coming up. I'm not surprised. The Markell's were an amazing family and the Governor's mom with whom I served on a number of womens org. board was an amazing woman, so why would I be surprised at who is now the Governor of Delaware?

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive