Follow Us on Twitter

Gifted? Talented?

In response to constituent concerns, I have begun researching the status of Christina's Gifted and Talented programming. Some parents have expressed concerns to me for these offerings, especially for K-2nd grade.

My Stance: I strongly believe that we need to challenge all students in order to keep them engaged in the classroom. Delaware is one of a handful of states that does not require its school districts to identify gifted students, nor does it require specific services for exceptional students.

Today, I began a dialogue with CSD admin to learn more about how they are meeting the unique needs of this special population. Opening the channels of communication is the first step in the process to excellence. As I learn more about the specifics of the programs I will report back to residents and parents via this blog.

In the mean time, here's a great place to start learning about the status of G &T in Delaware:

http://dspace.udel.edu:8080/dspace/bitstream/19716/2363/1/gifted%20and%20talented.pdf

1 comments:

oanna said...

I am so happy to hear information on gifted programs. I am a mother of 3 children, two of them are in the 1st grade one is a special needs child and my youngest is starting kindergarten in the fall. The knowledge and reading ability she already has simply amaze me! I am eager to hear where the school board stands on the needs of children who are gifted. My concern is my youngest child will be placed in a kindergarten where she will be board and loose interest in education if she is not challenged. I would like to see our kids challenged in areas where they excel and strengthen in areas they may need more support. I hope if you are voted to be on the board that you support education that challenges and strengthens all of our children. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to voice my opinions!

Post a Comment

Word Verification May Be Case Sensitive